Friday, January 30, 2009

WOW...what a MONTH!

This has been a crazy month full of a lot of ups and downs. Our life is never short of "interesting" things and this month was surely proof of that.

Many of you may remember that in December Mikayla ended up with another ear infection that turned into yet another medical ordeal. After four rounds of Rocephin shots, it was obvious that even the very strongest of antibiotics were not going to clear up her infection. I have actually been very worried about her resistance to antibiotics for a long time but didn't quite know what to think. Well....her pediatrician, who I have said often that I love and trust, said that her obvious resistance was very concerning and that her constant yeast infections and ear infections, that never clear up (we have been to specialists about it) makes him lean towards the fact that Mikayla may have an autoimmune disorder, in fact he mentioned the possibility of cancer. That is news that as a parent you don't take real well! We had blood work done a week later because it took me a week to gain the mental strength to have it done and face the results. We just got the results back and I am so, so happy to report that it is NOT cancer. However, Mikayla does have very elevated immunoglobin (sp) levels that are indicative of her milk allergy. What was explained to me was that her milk allergy is likely worse than we anticipated and she can no longer have even traces of milk because her body is spending all it's immune defense "fighting" the milk in her system and it's tearing down her immune system.

Well this made me feel awful because I thought since she seemed to tolerate milk in things like cookies and crackers that she was OK with them and that she just couldn't have large quantities. Well....I was very wrong. It was very much effecting her body and making her sick and I didn't even realize it:-( Her immune system at this point is near non-existent and we HAVE to get that changed. My pediatrician is currently researching the best option for us and her at this point so please keep her in your prayers. If she would catch a serious illness, like the Pneumonia that Alec had a few weeks ago, it could kill her. She has no immunity to fight it and her body does not respond to antibiotics. So this is very, very serious. Please pray for her. PLEASE.

And I want to say THANK YOU to those of you who talked me off the ledge when I was dealing with this.

I don't want to make this post longer because it's already pretty long. But, I will say that student teaching is going wonderfully! I have Mikayla to daycare and Alec to before-school care by 7:45 am! What a change for ALL of us. I get home around 4-4:30 each night except on Tuesday because I have class that night. Between making sure my kids get the attention they need from me at night and writing my lesson plans, I am one busy person right now. My supervisor comes each week and sits in to watch me and it makes me SO nervous. But, she thinks I am doing really great so that makes me feel much better. I have three more weeks at this current placement before I move on to my special ed placement. Graduation is just around the corner in April! And hopefully WARMER temps are too! GEEZ....enough with the snow already!

OH...and by the way...today marks TWO YEARS EXACTLY that Mikayla has been a citizen and resident of the United States of America! We flew home to Cleveland airport and were greeted by friends and family that snowy, cold day. Happy Homecoming Mikayla! Your family loves you more than could ever imagine!


Brother and Sister hanging out


She looks "big" in the picture :-(

She loves to wear this because she loves the hood!

This was so funny. I told Mikayla...."go get a picture with daddy" and he was laying on the floor. So she crowded in on the floor and Alec joined in too!

Alec was Star Student this week!!!!

Lazily watching Dora

I see you daddy!

Major snowstorm here last week!!! Alec loves playing in it!

Alec wrote this to me:-) It's says "I love my mom."

Close up:-)

Here he had just wrote "mom cooks cookies." I tell him sentences and he writes them to practice his invented spelling and phonics. He wrote the I love my mom on his own though!

Cute little man!

We took the kids to Build A Bear last week. Mikayla wanted the monkey and she LOVES it. I just couldn't get a good picture of her and camera was on some weird setting. I am still figuring out this Nikon.

Alec and Kayla

Alec picked out a Panda Bear :-)

14 comments:

Jaime said...

Glad to hear all is well...Happy Homecoming Mikayla! I love the hoodie sweatshirt. She does look like such a big girl now. Also, Congrats Alec for being the Star Student!

Anonymous said...

oh...poor sweet mikayla...it is ALWAYS something! :( hang in there princess :)

brook

veggiemom said...

I'm sorry to hear about Kayla's health problems but at least you've started to figure it out and it seems like you're on the right path now.
Love Alec's notes on the board!

Kevin, Isabella, Jennifer Kramer said...

Lots of prayers! I'm here if you need to talk!

Our Adoption Process said...

Don't feel awful. Who would have thought a child's body could be so against milk.

You have done all the right things and are a hero of mine!!

Now you know and maybe things will improve as she gets older.

She is growing into such a beautiful little girl. I know you know that!

Thanks for updating:)

Kerry

Steve & Amy said...

OMG Mindy! What a month! I can't begin to imagine the emotional roller coaster you have been on! I praise the Lord that Mikayla does not have cancer and pray for her doctors. May he give them guidance to create the best treatment plan for Mikayla. I love the pictures of your kiddos...they look adorable! (as always:) I am impressed with Alec's writing!! WOW..WOW! Keep us posted on everything!

Anonymous said...

OMG YOu have had a busy month too...We need a vacation!!! Kids keep us on our toes for sure!!!

I took abby to Build a bear on Friday and OMG she loved it...We made the Brown soft bunny! CUTE

Love all the new pics..the kids are just tooo cute!!!!

Hugs,Leslie

Watson Family said...

You are all in my thoughts and prayers!!!
Happy Forever Family Day!!!

Jen said...

Hang in there Mindy and Kris.
Love,
Jen

Anonymous said...

I loved all the pictures and love the note Alec wrote that says: My mom CUKS cookies. Priceless. He really likes his drawing board doesn't he!
Mikayla looks adorable in her little snowsuit and you can tell she is sure enjoying the snow and Alec too.
I miss them so much.
Keep updating as often as you can and so I can see the pictures.
Love,
Mom

Megan said...

Wow...what a month you have had! I am hopeful that Mikayla's doctors are on the right path and will be praying for your family... Both her and Alec are as cute as ever, and how sweet is your boy?!

Hugs...

Judi and Elaina said...

Mindy-What a scary time for you and your family. Hoping you can get Mikayla's immune system back up and running!! Keeping all of you in my prayers!!! Congrats on your up coming Graduation!! Hugs, Judi and Elaina

Robin said...

Our daughter celebrates her 2 year family day next week- it is hard to believe how fast it has gone!

Stop by my site- I have given you a blog award!

Anonymous said...

I just gave you a award come to my thrusday post and check it out!

hugs,Leslie