So what will happen? Technically Plato will then become our dog. The Sheriff's Office will release him to us. We will then be solely responsible for his medications, bills, food, etc. We do not pay one penny for him right now. The county pays for it all. We don't have a problem with this, although it will be an extra expense, but we have decided that we will not be able to keep him. This is really hard for us. Working dogs become very attached to their handlers. Plato already takes anxiety medication because he can't handle being left in our house when Kris is not here. He tears the house apart. And I mean he DEMOLISHES it. He can't be left. There is just no way possible to leave him here all day while we are at work. It's not fair for Plato. On the other hand it seems so unfair to find him a new home. But Kris will be getting another dog, so where will that dog stay? The two dogs can't reside in the same house. Plato won't tolerate that one bit. Kris is so upset over this. So....the hunt is on for the perfect family for Plato. He needs a family where ONE PERSON is home all the time. I mean, not all the time, but not working.
This will be so hard on all of us, but we have to do what is best for Plato and this is the answer, sadly. I am just having a real hard time with it. REAL hard time. Plato is the first dog I have ever had. So I will cry like a baby. I am hoping we find someone who we know well so we can visit him. Let me tell you what....we will be VERY picky about it. Pray we find the right home with the right situation for the most loyal dog I have ever seen in my life.
The first picture was taken at a training exercise with Plato. The other two pictures were taken this week with my student that I tutor in Massillon. He wanted to meet the dog as his "treat" for completing his tutoring session program. This is what he "worked towards" and so Kris got approval to take the dog down to the school for a special visit. This was one SUPER excited little boy...let me tell you!



7 comments:
I KNOW how attatched the officers get to their dogs. That is their partner in everything they do at work.
I will be praying you find a good home for Plato. It breaks my heart for you!
Andrea
It makes me so sad to see it in writing. We have talked about it, but I am not liking that he won't be there when we come to visit...I LOVE Plato..Even though I would not let him back in the house when you weren't home..LOL...I truly wish I could take him for you...
That is so sad!! I hate it for all of you!! I know you will find the perfect home for Plato and he will enjoy his retirement. I will be praying for you.
Best wishes to all of you!
Sharon
I pray that you find a good home for him soon! I can't imagine having to part with one of my fur babies:(
How sad for all of your family:( Praying that you will find the perfect family for Plato. Maybe you can find one that you could visit Plato from time to time? Prayers and peace with you through this time!
oh...how sad. :( i'm sorry to hear this...i know how much you all loved plato. :(
brook
Mindy, I am sad for your family. It just seems unreal. I even feel like I know Plato!
My thoughts are with you.
Hugs, Kerry
Post a Comment