Friday, March 6, 2009

FIVE more weeks of student teaching!!!

Well I have been in my new placement for two weeks now. I am now teaching special ed preschool at another school in the same district as I was teaching First Grade. It was really, really tough for me to leave my first-graders. I cried when I got in my van and left that day. They will always, ALWAYS hold a very special place in my heart as really the first class I ever taught. I just loved my experience in this class. It was such a wonderful one and I was truly blessed that it turned out as well as it did. The kids were soooo upset to see me go. I was given lots of flowers that day, gifts, and cards from each child in the class. We had a little goodbye party and my cooperating teacher and the students presented me with a Willow Tree teacher. It was an emotional day. It was bittersweet because it marked the halfway part of my student teaching and made me one step closer to graduation. But it was really hard to say goodbye.

Preschool is going well but it took me a good week to change gears. Like I said, this is a special ed preschool and the needs of some of my students are immense. I really love it though and my cooperating teaching is AMAZING. I really couldn't have asked for better placements and I have learned so many things. Just five more weeks to go and I am finished!

Alec recovered well from his bout with the flu a few weeks back. It was a really tough time for him and for all of us really. It took him quite a while to truly come back around but he is doing well and looking forward to all the fun things going on at his school. Kris and Alec had the Father/Son Scavenger Hunt at school last week and in a few weeks is the Mother/Son Bingo Night :-) Last weekend Kris took Alec up to the Auto Show in Cleveland and they had a super fun time together. I guess I should post some pictures of that. I will have to get them off of the other computer.

Mikayla ended up getting very, very sick last Friday. I knew something was up because she was behaving badly and acting out right around the time Alec started coming around. I wondered if maybe she was just upset because her schedule was thrown off with Alec being in the hospital and that maybe she was just needing lots of attention from Kris and I. However, one morning after a particularly rough night she woke up with gunk oozing out of her right ear. Yup. Another ear infection. Her fever spiked up past 104 and in to Statcare we went because it was late Friday night. They gave her two Rocephin shots and told us to see her ENT right away. We went this past Monday and he took one look at her and said the tubes HAD to be replaced. One is already out and the one still in is the ear that has the infection. He looked in her throat and said her tonsils were HUGE and that her ear infection were likely stemming from her enlarged tonsils. He said this is also likely causing her breathing issues and restlessness at night....along with her lovely snoring. :-) He wants to do surgery as soon as possible but since she will be down and out for about 7-10 days it will have to wait until after my graduation in April. Kris is taking her back to the ENT on Tuesday and the surgery will be scheduled at that time. Poor little thing. Will she ever, EVER catch a break?

Well that's about it for now! I really will try to keep this updated!

Here are some pictures of my First Graders. I tried to post pics that didn't show their faces. I have much cuter ones but don't want to post those.

One of my students writing my dictation
Working on a project

Time for Fact Families!


We did an Alliteration Bulletin Board for Valentine's Day. It was cute.

Working on Syllables

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! It is time to start the party planning! What a celebration that will be. Can you believe it. You are SOOOO close now. The final stretch is definitely in sight now.
We are SOOOOO proud of you.
Love,
Mom

Jen said...

Just 5 weeks to go! Your almost there Mindy and I wish you well these last few weeks! You go girl!
Love,
Jen

Natalie C. said...

Good luck on your last 5 weeks. I am so glad Alec is finally back to normal.I completly understand Mikayla's issues. Xaleb had to have is tonsils removed too. We had it done when he had tubes put in and having both done it has made a world of difference. I hope it does the same for your baby girl.

theonewhere said...

wow...you are so busy! and poor mikayla...always something...i know it doesn't make it better now, but ethan had his tonsils and adenoids out and life was SO much better afterwards....better sleeping, no snoring, which meant he was well rested and better behaved, less infections, wonderful! :)

brook

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about Mikayla. Let me know if I can help you out in anyway!

Nikki said...

Your first graders are adorable- I am sure it was hard to leave!

Nikki
www.madebynikki.blogspot.com

Rebecca said...

Oh Mindy, I don't know where to start. Sorry for being a bad friend! I'm just reading about all of this. I'm glad Alec is back to himself now and I'm sorry Mikayal is having to get her tonsils removed. Poor little honey!!

As for you, I can't believe you're almost done!! CONGRATS!!!! I hope you'll write soon so we can get an update! ((hugs))