Monday, September 10, 2007

Prayers for Guatemala and My Weekly Weigh In

As an adoptive mother to a beautiful Guatemalan child I cannot hold back any longer. When our children come home people often think that we forget about those that are left behind, still waiting for the day when they will be placed in the loving arms of their forever family. I am here to say that is NOT the case. Not day goes by that I don't think about or pray for the children still in Guatemala and the families waiting to bring their children home.

When we signed with our agency the problems in the Guatemalan Adoption Process had not yet surfaced to the extreme extent that they have now. Did we face delays? Yes, we did...particularly in PGN. However, our case didn't face what cases now have to face. Shortly after bringing Mikayla home, and by shortly I mean mere weeks later, the process started taking dramatic turns and delays became something to expect rather then something to pray didn't happen. Most of the children now are coming home at 9/10 months or older, with of course the exception of cases here and there. But the quicker cases, like ours, are no longer the norm.

Guatemalan Adoption is a process fraught with all sorts of problems. I will not go into detail about the problems but believe me when I say that there are many and although we adoptive parents don't like to always talk about them....we all know that they are there and that things need to change. Change in the Guatemalan Adoption Process WOULD be a good and welcomed thing normally, however, Guatemala is using extreme force and excessive use of power to put a stop to adoptions. Not only is this heart wrenching for families who have a child still there, but is detrimental to the children waiting to come home.

In January of 2008 the US will enact what is called the Hague Treaty. The Hague Treaty was designed to basically ensure that adoptions from EVERY country are completed in the most ethical way possible. I, once again, am not going to go into details about the Hague Treaty because I would be typing away all night long. The most important thing to note is that Guatemala currently is not operating their adoption system in a way the conforms to the Hague Treaty, therefore come 2008, they will be considered non-compliant with new US guidelines concerning International Adoption. OK so what does that mean. In all reality...no one really knows WHAT that will mean. There are hopes, HIGH hopes, that all in-process cases will be completed and Visa's for those children will be issued, therefore those cases will be grandfathered in. But there is also a lot of belief that come January, referrals of children from Guatemala will cease. Basically, if Guatemala can't figure out how to become Hague compliant then adoption of Guatemalan children to US Citizens will come to an end.

So this is where the prayers come in. US citizens adopt around 4000+ children from Guatemala each year. So what becomes of those 4000 children if there is no one allowed to adopt them? Where will they live? What will become of them? Who will be there for them? No one has answers to these questions and the ones that have speculative answers are ones we don't want to hear. So please, tonight as you say your prayers, pray for the children of Guatemala and for the government to do the RIGHT thing when it comes to Guatemalan Adoptions. I can't imagine my life without Mikayla in it and the thought of children JUST like her unable to find a home is heartbreaking. Pray that positive changes will be made that will enable US Citizens to continue adopting from Guatemala and that the Guatemalan Adoption Process will become more ethical as a whole. Please pray....these children, both born and unborn, need our prayers.

Now that I have said all of that, which I had to because it was heavy on my heart, it is time for my WEEKLY WEIGH IN! Did you forget about me starting my diet this week? I actually started it last Tuesday, not Monday, but I want to do my weigh-ins each Monday.

Well I am thrilled to report that I have lost 3.5 pounds this week! I am off to a good start and feel really motivated to keep plugging away at it. I already feel better now that I am eating better! Hopefully I will continue to lose this fast:-) But who knows....as long as I lose SOMETHING then I did good.

Now...here are some pictures I tried to take tonight that ended up being a total failure. I put Mikayla in one of her new Gymboree outfits that came in the mail today and she would not sit still for me to take a single good picture. She is on the go constantly. That is why I don't post many pictures anymore...the child is NEVER still unless she is SLEEPING! I need better pictures!

What mom...you want to take my picture? Well this princess says NO!

What's in here...anything to eat? I like to eat:-)


Oh yeah...who's cute? ME! Even if I don't let mom take a picture of me.

Tried to get ALL of her in this one...but nope..she moved too quick...but at least you can read her shirt!

Alec took this picture a few days ago when I was visiting my parents and I love it for some reason...he did a pretty good job!

9 comments:

veggiemom said...

Great post - I remain totally obsessed with Guatemala adoption and Guatemala in general. I so hope that the needed reforms can be made without totally shutting down the process.

And even though you didn't get a perfectly composed pic they're still pretty darn cute.

Congrats on your diet and continued good luck.:)

Kerri and Ruby

Madelyn's Mommy said...

I am praying for the situation in Guatemala! I am praying that all of us in the process bring our miracles home! God will and can do it!!!

Andrea

Anonymous said...

Yes, Mindy, very good post. I tell you that the eye opening you get as to how the rest of the world lives is one of the things I never expected come out of adopting internationally but has really affected me. So few people here in the comfort of the US really understand or get to see the complete and utter lack of social infrastructure that exists so many other places. Of course our systems aren't perfect, but very few people have seen what it is like in a country that has virtually no state sponsored or supported child welfare system. Guatemala is not alone---there are children all over the world that face this. I agree that the predictions about what will happen if there is a shutdown are very grim. it really is the kind of stuff that makes you lie awake at night.
But congrats on your week 1 success and I LOVE that onesie! Welcome to the can't get a good picture because your girl is always on the move club. :)
NiCole

Princess Gabby and Prince Hunter said...

Mindy,
Oh my goodness, Mikayla is getting so big and her hair is SO long!!! What a doll! Your post brought tears to my eyes, it is heartwrenching to think that adoptions could stop. It breaks my heart as I would love to adopt again someday but now is not the time for us. Congrats on your 3.5 pounds, you go girl!!!

Jane said...

thanks for the info...I will be praying.

I can't believe how big Mikayla is getting. She is so beautiful.

And Alec did a great job taking the pic of you and your parents. I'm still praying for you mom too!

Steve & Amy said...

I couldn't have said it better!! We continue to pray that Guatemala can fix all of the issues. We pray that all of the families waiting will have their children home forever soon. LOVE the new outfit...Mia is also on the go ALL the time...I can only imagine what our chirstmas pictures are going to look like. Maybe if I start now trying to take them by December I'll have a good one:)

Sharon and Olivia Grace said...

Thank you for this wonderful post!! I am very worried about the state of things in Guatemala and I pray that everything can be resolved quickly and in the best interest of the children. Every one of them deserves a loving home.

I love Mikayla's outfit. I bought that same t-shirt for Olivia. It is too funny.

Again, Thank you for your prayers!

Sharon

Jaime said...

I love your post and also keep Guatemala close in mind...prayer in our home always includes the beautiful country and all of the children awaiting forever homes. As for your weigh-in...Yea! Congrats to you! I am in the same boat and started my "diet" (I hate using that word, I prefer "healthy eating and living lifestyle with a mixture of exercise and slight feelings of starvation" plan)I began my diet almost 2 months ago and in 3 more pounds I will have lost 30LBS!!! I have faith in you...just stick with it and go after your goal. Good luck!
P.S.I have a tip: give yourself something to look forward to. In my case I LOVE dark chocolate and I rewarded myself each week with it.

Kate said...

Mindy very well said!! You really are a great writer. I too pray everyday for the people of Guat. as well as families and babies waiting to be together! It is a situation that weighs heavy on my heart! Also great work on your diet!! I need to get my butt in gear YIKES!! As aways love all the pictures!! HUGS!