Friday, November 9, 2007

Well...the Dental verdict is in

This has been a very busy week for us, yet again. We had more DR appointments, more visits from EI to set up the IFSP and therapy for Kayla, and both the kids have been sick. Mikayla needs to be 100% by Sunday because we are going to celebrate Devon's 1st Birthday with her! (you can find Devon on my blogroll....HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEVON!)

Today after I dropped Alec off at preschool I took Mikayla to the Pediatric Dentist...something I have had set up for three weeks and in one way looking forward to and in another dreading. Well, my fears came true and were confirmed by the Dentist today. When he came in to examine her she had a royal cow. Seriously. She is 16 months old and some strange dude is putting gauze and a bite stick in her mouth and we are all holding her down. Ummmm...it was not fun at all. In fact, it was painful for ME to endure so I can't imagine how SHE must have felt. He checked it out and said the "cleft tooth" is actually called a "twin tooth." What this means is that her bottom canine tooth on that side fused with the other tooth to make a split, or cleft tooth. This tooth is extremely vulnerable to cavities given the deep split because there is little enamel in the split itself. Therefore, we had to SEAL the tooth. OMG poor child. So he brought in his "team" of people and I held down her legs, one nurse had one arm, the other nurse the other arm, the OTHER nurse her head, and then the dentist sealed it. Sound fun? Ummmmm. NO. She screamed so hard she is now HOARSE. This took about FIFTEEN minutes to complete. But wait! The fun doesn't end there! After that we had to go into the other room and have an X-Ray done...this is where my worst fears became confirmed...by the X-ray. I put on the vest and had to bear hug Mikayla and then they dropped her down on my knees (I was sitting) and put a vest over her. Then the "team" held her down while they put the films in and took the X-rays. Needless to say...she is never going to want to see these people again in her life. In fact, after we were back in the room, when one of them even LOOKED at her she started crying again and clung to me for dear life. But we had to do this...as traumatic as it sounds. That tooth had to be sealed because if a cavity were to form in the twin tooth then it would almost be a guaranteed root canal. Now imagine THAT on a 1 year old!

Ok so what did the X-rays confirm. Well....Mikayla has no bottom canine teeth. She doesn't have them now and she will not get them in when her adult teeth come in. She will never, ever have canine teeth on the bottom. What are canine teeth? They are the pointy teeth beside your middle four teeth. Not only will she never have them, but her adult tooth could be a twin tooth as well, which will have to be filled and capped. AND...her molars are misplaced. They are right beside her bottom four middle teeth, because, well....SHE HAS NO CANINE'S! What is this caused from? It could be genetic, which of course we will NEVER know but more likely it was caused from malnourishment in the womb. As in, lack of prenatal vitamins and poor diet.

I am sad tonight. I am. I am not a vain person but let's face it...no one wants their children to have a deformity and hers is noticeable. In the future, and we are talking YEARS ahead, she may have to have some teeth pulled and the possibility of having replacement teeth put in is not out of the question yet. I know how mean kids can be. I know how they tease. I was teased and I don't want my daughter, who already has more to deal with then other children, to have to endure one more thing. I don't want her to stop smiling because she is embarrassed either. I just feel bad. Maybe she won't care...maybe it won't bother her one bit...but maybe it will...and her mommy will hurt for her, because I am her mommy and that's what mommy's do.

This is Alec's Preschool Picture. We got it back today and I scanned it. I wish he would have SMILED in it more but I still love it...and him:-)


Does my mom have the camera again?
She was playing PEEK A BOO here
Toddling along...
Look Aunt Gina!! See what I do now to the chair you got me!? This is the BEST...I have even pulled it over the window so I can look outside...how smart am I!?
Peek A Boo...I SEE YOU MOM!

OMG she is sitting!!!! For like 2 seconds..don't worry..it wasn't prolonged. LOL.
Ready for bed! Ok don't mind the oily face thing. Her face is chapped a little around her mouth and I have putting Vaseline on it at night and at naptime.
Mom...I know you like the camera but are you really taking pics of me in BED!?
Oh yeah...that's what she's doing alright. My mom is kind of a nutcase!
MOM....ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Enlarge this picture and you can probably see her twin tooth on the left.) OH...and check out that crib slat in the background where my child chewed it to the WOOD like a beaver!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I just want to pick her up out of that crib and give her the bittest kiss and hug and read her a bedtime story! Please get well so Grandma can see you Alec and Mikayla! I miss you all so much.
I think the pic of Alec is so sweet of him, BUT he looks like such a big boy:(
SO SO HANDSOME!
Love,mom

Joe and Gina said...

How adorable are your kids. I love Alecs school picture. Mikayla looks like she is up to no good on that chair...LOL...I'm glad your appt with the dentist is over, it sounded horrible. The only good thing is now you know what you are dealing with...

Steve & Amy said...

Poor Mikayla!! Poor Momma! Glad to hear that is over and done with...at least you have answers now. Alce looks like such a little gentelman! I know one day soon he will be protecting Mikalya from the boys:) Praying that everyone get feeling better soon!!! Hugs & chicken soup coming your way!!!!

Brandy's Adventure said...

Love the pics on here. Sorry you had such a rough day! I totally know how you feel right now. I went through the same things with Tyler and his surgery. I am sure you remember me telling you how horrible I felt, but I knew it was best for him because kids can be so cruel now and at a VERY young age too! I know you will do what's best for Mikayla. She is beautiful no matter what!! It's not about being cosmetic, it's about giving our children the best chances in life without any more strikes against them they already have. Does that make any sense?
Anyways, I had to look at the last picture again to see the chewing! How funny is that! She is such a character. I don't blame her one bit if she never wants to see the Dentist again! He is not a favorite for alot of people in our family!!!
Miss you guys lots!!

Anonymous said...

I have a friend who was missing her top canines. The dentist made a retainer with two false teeth on it that fit in for the missing teeth. You would never have known! It was totally genetic - her sisters all had retainers, too. She is a BEAUTIFUL girl and was never, to my knowledge, teased. No one ever knew. What they can do with dentistry is unbelievable these days. I have a huge cavity in my right eye tooth - almost a cap, really, and you can't even tell at all. Dentistry is scary when you're one, to be sure, but don't spend a minute worrying about teasing. I don't think it will happen. Also, the pain relievers they have are much improved since we were kids. They have a numbing substance so you can't feel the needle if novacaine is needed. Once she can understand what's happening, she'll be much more relaxed. I hope they can wait until she is older to do any "work" on her.

Katie said...

Love your little beaver --that is so funny !! I think Makayla will be fine ..... she is beautiful and she has a great family !!!

veggiemom said...

Poor little sweetie and poor mom. I know this is so tough but it will get easier. Virtual hugs coming your way.

For the chapped face - try aquaphor (made by Eucerin). It's the best stuff ever - works great for chapped faces, hands and also for diaper rash.

Kerri and Ruby

Sharon and Olivia Grace said...

Well, I'm glad your dentist trip is over. She is just beautiful and always will be. She will always have a beautiful smile even without canines on the bottom!!!

I love Alec's school picture, so handsome!! Mikayla is beautiful as always!!!

Sharon

Susan said...

Mindy,
What a horrible ordeal. You would think a pediatric dentist could find a better way to do the procedures without having to totally give her a horrible experience. I don't know how though. I know Evvy would react the same way if someone tried to get into her mouth.

I just wanted you to know that I don't have my canines either. I have a pretty small mouth and had a total of 8 teeth plus my wisdom teeth pulled before I got braces in 7th grade. I don't think the twin tooth is very noticeable at all and I hope that she will grow up with a great self-esteem because of all of her other wonderful qualities. She is a gorgeous little girl and is lucky to have a mommy that looks out for her so well.

Hugs,
Susan

Blessed Mommy said...

oh mindy, my heart is also sad for you and your sweet girl.. but mostly because it's sad to think that her (and i'm sure our girls' b-mom) wasn't able to care for her unborn baby the way she would have wanted. Her day at the dentist just sounds horribly dramatic -- kinda reminded me of anytime we even step foot into our ped's office (both start screaming instantly). BUT thankfully, it's over (for now) and also she is just the sweetest, prettiest, cutest little thing ever! Just one look at that face, and I don't think anyone would ever even notice about the missing teeth! lots of love to you!! PS. alec's pic is too cute!!

Kevin, Isabella, Jennifer Kramer said...

Isabella has two twin teeth in the front bottom. Her xrays show a possibility of a split when the adult teeth come in but if they don't, the dentist said we could have them pulled and have anchored teeth set. I just remind myself that it's not life threatening and can be fixed with a little cosmetic surgery. But I understand your frustration as a mother - wanting to do something to make it right and not having the power to do so.