Saturday, December 8, 2007

GUATEMALAN FAMILY CHRISTMAS PARTY!!!

WOW! What an amazing day today was for soooooooo many reasons. First and foremost...Mikayla is home and in my arms for the holidays this year. I can't tell you how many times I have cried over that fact in the past few weeks. It's just so emotional for me because we are a COMPLETE family and Christmas last year just felt so wrong to me...it was just so sad...to celebrate with our daughter thousands of miles away in an orphanage. But, here she is, and here ALL the kids are....with the exception of ONE who SHOULD be home by Christmas too!!

It was one year ago next week that I posted on adoption.com asking for other mommy's to meet up with me for lunch out at Max and Erma's. I thought maybe a few people would respond and hey, misery loves company, and I needed to be with people who understood what I was going through. Much to my surprise about 12 girls responded and thus the "NEO (North East Ohio) Group" was formed. I never, ever thought it would grow as it has, we now have WELL over 25 families that are a part of it, and I never thought that my simple plea for "friendship" would turn into something so amazing that has touched to many lives. But it has! And this party was proof.

Today we celebrated. We celebrated friendship and we celebrated our children. ALL of our children, whether from Guatemala or not. We had over 20 wonderful families come today to the party that I planned. Well, I stand corrected, because honestly it was Gina and I both that planned it. It was a lot of work I will not lie...but today was well worth all the hours spent on planning, cooking, preparing, and shopping. Seeing everyone together, with their children, laughing and smiling was such a reward to me. I love all of these children!! Many of these children stole my heart through monthly update pictures while they were still in Guatemala....and now they are HERE....in freezing, cold Ohio.

Adoption is a bond that few people have. Few people can understand the hardship, the emotions, or the joy that go along with International Adoption. Few people understand what PA is or the importance of PGN or what's is like to get a KO. Few people understand what it's like to watch their children grow up in pictures month after month. But the few that DO understand, like those at the party today, all share a bond that will never be broken.

For those of you reading this that were there today, and actually, I know pretty much ALL of you do, I want you to know that it was honestly my PLEASURE being able to do this for all of you. I hope that you had as wonderful a time as I did and I hope that you made memories today that will last a lifetime. I know that for me, within this group of people, I have made friendships that have changed my life. Adoption has changed my life...and all for the better!

So here are the pictures and I have TONS more. I will post more tomorrow but this is for tonight! I am surprised I have the energy left to even blog! LOL!

Mommy is THRILLED I am home for the holidays....even though I don't smile for pictures!
Party Time!
Just some of the Yummy Food!
Some of the guests:-)

The gift table
The cookie table complete with Christmas Music!
Another "table" shot

Miss. Sophia with her sub
My girl Devon with her AWESOME hair-do after pulling out her bow
Tony and Alec having a GREAT time at the craft table
Miss. Izzy hanging out by the gits table
Ana...Tony's Sister
Christian loving his balloon
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is that a SMILE!? And did I actually CATCH it!?
CRAFT TIME!
Chasing Balloons
Daddy with Izzy

Sweet Camille
OMG!!!!!!!!! Another smile??? Could it BE!?
And what is this? Is Mikayla actually SITTING with Devon? Trust me, she got up before I could take another picture!
Devon with her forever friend Isabelle (and yes, Isabelle has on the same dress as Kayla...what can I say...we are some Gymboree-Loving Guatemalan Moms around here!)
SANTA MAKES HIS APPEARANCE!!!

The kids did two things....ran screaming or flocked to him.
Alec and Santa....the first year he has EVER sat on his lap!
Mikayla was MESMERIZED by Santa!
This is Santa's DAUGHTER...she didn't know it was him and she was scared. She is a SWEETHEART!
Devon and Santa

Joseph and Santa
Christian and Santa
Santa....have we been good this year? We DID come home!?
Daddy's girl...what else can I say?
Awwww....sweet Christian and Mommy

Well...let's just say Sophia doesn't like Santa!
Jennifer and her sweetie Isabella...who wasn't too sure of Santa either!
Christian and Alec holding hands and taking a walk
Gina...seriously...what can I say. I could have NEVER EVER planned this party without you. Seriously. I think we did a great job and we are one heck of a party-planning team. You know you are my girl:-)
Christian, Gina, and Joe...this is what adoption does...it bring GREAT people into your lives that you never thought you would meet.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!!

18 comments:

Joe and Gina said...

You have me crying, I look at that picture of Christian, Joe and I and I think what Christmas this year would be like without him in my arms. This is going to be the best Christmas of my life...It was amazing today looking around seeing all of the wonderful families and then remembering our luncheon last year. WOW what a difference a year makes. You know how thankful I am that I met you. I don't know what I would do without your friendship..I adore you and your family..
Love ya....

Tina said...

So Sorry I missed it! Looks like everyone had a blast! As it is, I am leaving very soon for Missouri and we had to get a tree and decorate and christmas etc. I really wish all this wasn't going down right now cause we would have loved to have been there. Can't wait to see the rest of the pictures. You sure are the Hostess with the Mostess!!

Our Family of 5 said...

The party was great. You and Gina did a fantastic job!

Sharon and Olivia Grace said...

Adoption certainly does bring great people into your lives that you never thought you would meet!!
Looks like you had a wonderful party!! Love all the pictures!!

Have a wonderful Holiday!!

Sharon and Olivia

Madelyn's Mommy said...

What a great post! The children are just beautiful and so many of them. It is so wonderful to have our Madi home for Christmas. Tonight was our first Christmas party. Mike had his part for the PD and just having her there made me smile. Last year everyone was just asking us about the adoption and this year they actually got to see her. It is so wonderful of you to get this group of Guate families together.

Andrea

Anonymous said...

What a very special day and I know it is a bond that that you all share. So great to see all of these children home! The pictures are all wonderful. Everything looks so festive and nice. Food and cookies look so yummy! The picture of Mikayla and Christian of them looking up at Santa is just adorable!!! So happy to get so see these pictures tonight. I thought of you ALL DAY LONG!
I love you all so much,
Mom

Steve & Amy said...

Looks like a GREAT party! I agree that the bonds formed through adoption are like no other. The people you meet are the ones that you can always count on to get you through rough times, but they are also there to celebrate the blessings God has given us from such a beautiful country. These pictures bring tears to my eyes. So many forever families, so many blessings. God is so good! We just wished we lived closer co we could come to all of your events!

Watson Family said...

Mindy,
Thank you so much for planning such a wonderful party. We had a great time. We were able to get some last minute pointers before our P/U trip. This is truely a wonderful thing you have started for us. We all have a great friendship for life. These wonderful children are a true blessing. Your right about the next get together. There will be a new addition!!!!
Thanks for a great day!!!!!
God Bless

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful party! It's wonderful that you have so many friends to share your experiences with! The faces of all those children says it all!!
Happy Holidays and God Bless|
Uncle Danny and Aunt Chris

Anonymous said...

Thank you for planning such a wonderful party. We had a great time!

I cannot believe how big all of the children are getting. Time really does fly once they are home.

Thank you again!

Lisa, Paul and Ava

Kevin, Isabella, Jennifer Kramer said...

Thank you (and Gina) so much for such a wonderful day! It was so great to see how the kids had grown just since Halloween and to meet so many other families. We can't wait to see everyone again this spring!

Can't wait to see the other pics.

Merry Christmas!

(P.S. It's Jennifer, not Elizabeth, but I don't mind. Elizabeth was my mom's second choice.)

Katie said...

Great Job !!! You know I would have loved to be there !!!

Blessed Mommy said...

looks like soooo much fun! What an awesome Christmas and beautiful memories to go along with it!!

Anonymous said...

I LOOOVE the pictures!!!! Looks like we're missing out on a very fun group! :) I love the way your blog looks now. VERY CUTE!

Becca said...

Looks like so much fun. I know exactly what you mean about sharing this special bond - I feel like I have gained an entire, HUGE family through adoption - quite the blessing!

AMY, ROB, JAY, DREW & EMMA said...

WOW it looks like you have a great group and had a wonderful party! We are leaving in a few days for our extended pick up! Next year we would LOVE to come to the party! We are from Southern Ohio....but to meet you and all the other buckeyes...we will make the trip! I have followed your blog and posts for months and months!
I hope you have a wonderful Christmas with your family.
(((HUGS)))
Amy

Tara said...

We had the BEST time ever! It was amazing!! Many hugs to you and Gina for your hard work!

Anonymous said...

I don't know how I can THANK YOU both for such a good job at planned. I feel truely blessed that I got to hook up with the group last year. My how the year flys..........I had no idea that I would be bringing my Zak home for Christmas this year. We all thank you very much for letting us be a part of your lives. Oh by the way Happy Belated Birthday!!!