Monday, June 30, 2008

Happy "Born Into Our Hearts Day" Mikayla Faith

How do ever put into words the day that you get your referral? I am not sure those emotions are possible to put in black and white but you know me and I will surely try!

In the (early for me) morning of June 30th, 2006 my phone rang. As usual I was still in bed at 9:00 am and while I was awake, I wasn't much into actual getting up so to speak. We don't have a phone in our bedroom but I heard it ring and Alec bounded downstairs to answer it for whatever reason. He never answered the phone back in those days. But on this day, he did, and he brought it to me and said "Mom, its the building block." My heart skipped I think ten beats. The building block, was Building Blocks, our agency and them calling me meant one thing only. That we had a daughter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't remember much of that conversation. I know it wasn't very short and there were lots of instructions for me, I must have heard them because I followed through with them later that day, but all I could think about was this statement "How would you like to have an extra Happy July 4th holiday...a baby girl was born, her name is Clara and she was born in Villa Nueva. I have sent you over pictures to your e-mail account and if you can accept her referral today then we can send your completed dossier to Guatemala today!" Well that was it. That was where the phone conversation ended for me! Downstairs, in my AOL inbox, was a simply stated e-mail that said "referral." I could barely breathe.

Kris and I had promised each other that when this day came we would wait to look at the pictures together. Sitting together, sharing it together. It was 9:00 am. Kris got home at 4:30...he had JUST gotten to work. I somehow hung up and managed to call Kris. I was hysterical, could barely speak and I am sure he thought someone had died. We were told it would be another few weeks before our name made it to the top of the wait list for baby girls so this was very unexpected. All I could muster was "she's here!" "Who is?" he asked me back. MIKAYLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then HE began hyperventilating. I told him I couldn't wait, it was actually about 9:45 at this point and that e-mail had been sitting for over 45 minutes staring at me waiting to be opened. He told me he was going to a computer, he would call me, and we would look at them together over the phone. I waited and WAITED for him to call and when he finally did he said "OMG SHE IS JUST BEAUTIFUL MINDY!" I said WHAT!? You already looked! He told me that there wasn't a phone by the computer. UGH....so I opened up the e-mail, with him on the phone with me, and there she was.

Sweet Mikayla Faith was born into my heart around 9:45 am. After years of secondary infertility, years of negative pregnancy tests, years of trying to build our family, and then months of "adoption labor" Mikayla was born. In all her beautiful glory my sweet daughter was here, or, well, rather THERE, but she was healthy, she was beautiful, and we felt over the moon with excitement and love. And to make it even more amazing, a single, small pink butterfly adorned the sleeper she was wearing. I had prayed that God would send me a sign, something, anything, so that when we got our referral I would know that He had had His part in it. And as silly as it sounds, that was my sign, and the moment I saw it was when I truly, truly let the emotions spill down my cheeks. I couldn't stop crying or thanking God for this blessing.

To my daughter...Mikayla Faith...your name was chosen because of the undying FAITH your mommy and daddy had that someday we would be blessed with a daughter. In a whirlwind of emotions you came into our lives on the warm, June morning with the sun shining bright, thousands of miles from where you lay in a crib. We loved you from the moment we saw you in those pictures. For all the questions you will have someday about your journey that brought you here, please know this one thing...we love you more then you will ever be able to imagine. You are loved, and wanted, and have made our lives and our family complete and full of so much laughter, love, and shear joy. You and your brother are the light of lives and I pray not a day goes by that you ever question your place in our family, our lives, or our hearts.

To Mikayla's sweet, beautiful birthmother...because of you, our family was able to become complete. Your unimaginable love for your daughter will never, ever be forgotten. We will pray for you, talk about your love, and be indebted to you for the rest of our lives. While we have never met, and likely never will, you have a place in our hearts forever, and the sacrifice you made will never be forgotten to us.


Mikayla Faith
Born into this world on June 17th, 2006 but born into our hearts on June 30th, 2006


We love you sweet baby girl!


2 comments:

Jaime said...

Happy Referral Day! You always have a way with your wording that leaves me in tears...and with the feeling like I was there...if you know what I mean.
Have a wonderful 4th of July!

Anonymous said...

Boo-hooing here too Mindy. That was beautiful. I remember you posting her pictures for the first time and showing them to my mom and saying I absolutely could not wait until it was our turn. And here there are home and happy. You are right, you don't forget even a tiny detail of that moment when you first look at those little pictures.
NiCole