Yup...today was Mommy Breakdown Day 2008. They told us that the bus would come sometime between 11:30 and 12:20! That's a whole hour nearly! But this week they are trying to get the PM Kindergarten bus schedule figured out so it could be different each day. Well of course I had him ready to go at 11:30 and he was super excited. I was ready...camera and all to catch that big first bus ride to school. What time did the bus come?? 12:20! LOL. He was getting SO MAD that it was taking so long but when that big yellow bus pulled around the corner at the top of our road, and I knew that THIS time it was stopping at MY house after watching it drive by for 6 years, well, the tears came and they came FAST. Alec ran off to the end of the driveway and I grabbed the camera through tears. The clincher was him sitting in the seat waving to me as I took pictures. I could barely see I was so teared up and the bus aide just looked at me so sweetly with that "I know it's hard, honey" look.
I came back in the house and FELL APART. I mean choking sobs. It seemed so quiet all of the sudden, even with Mikayla here and it broke my heart. As mommy was swimming in her sea of raw emotions, Mikayla was doing other things. Not good things. Things like taking a huge oat cluster from her Cheerio cereal she eats as a snack and sticking it far up her nose. I caught her doing it at the last second. Way too late for me to get her to stop. No sooner was it in there that HER tears started to fall and blood was pouring out of her nose. I got a flashlight, a pair of tweezers, and the already handy kleenex hoping I could get it out. Ummm....nope. She pushed it so far back it was barely visible. I had to get her dressed, get ME dressed for school, grab my bookbag, pack a diaper bag, fill her cup, and load us up ASAP and head to the ER, in the meantime calling Kris to tell him to meet me at the ER so we could do a "trade off" because I had to get to class. Got to the ER...four hour wait! OMG. Called Kris back, told him to stay at home. Got home and told him he would have to wait to take her StatCare because Alec was due to get off the bus at 3:30. I had to run off and leave him with a bloody nosed, no nap, irate Guatemalan Diva with a oat cluster stuck up her nasal passage. I had to go to class. No choice. It's my pre-student teaching seminar and you HAVE to go. Of course I could have really NOT gone, but I know my husband and he is fully and 100% capable of handling things like this.
So Alec got home and they headed to StatCare and got right in there. They had to take some balloon thing and put it up her nose and some grabbing tool to get it out. By this point it was falling apart so there were lots of little pieces and she was TICKED. I can only imagine. But, they got it all out, all is well, and she got a Cookie Monster stuffed animal from the staff for being "good." I got home from school and found Sam chewing UP Cookie Monster. ~ sigh~ So Cookie Monster is now in the trash, Mikayla is sleeping with two clear nostrils, mommy is treating her red, swollen eyes with cucumber peels, and Alec is in bed eating a cookie because, well, I caved. It was just one of those days. And Kris? He and his dad had to rush off the minute I got home to go up to Cleveland Browns pre-season game. What am I really doing? Because you know I am NOT really treating my eyes with cucumber peels. I am baking another batch of cookies because tomorrow Alec is celebrating his birthday at school so I have to make little treat bags for the kids. My famous cookie recipe is as follows since it was requested:
Blend the following:
3/4 cup of sugar
3/4 cup of packed brown sugar
1 stick of butter flavored Crisco
1 teaspoon of salt
Blend all of this really well and then add two eggs, one at a time mixing until it's real creamy. Then add in 1 teasoon of Vanilla (the GOOD stuff...not imitation).
Add in 2 1/2 cups of flour and 1 teaspoon of baking soda. Mix it well and then add Milk Chocolate Chips and mix again. Drop onto an ungreased baking sheet in one inch balls and cook on 350 for about 8 minutes or until the tops are SLIGHTLY brown. Pull them out and place them on a cookie rack to cool! Makes about 30 cookies.


8 comments:
Oh Mindy what a day you have had. I was so glad to hear Mikayla was ok. Kris got off to the game and your cookies were baked..Thanks for sharing the receipe I know how yummy they are...
Girl I teared up at Alec waving to you on the bus.
Sorry to hear that you had a bad day. I hope you get some rest this weekend. Sounds like you need it.
Andrea
Gina,
You'll get it when Christian is off to school:) I hope all is well!
Mindy- I am busting a gut. I soooooooo know how it feels!! Have a good one!
Love,
Jen
I am glad he liked it. I am sorry Mikayla is ok. Sounds like you had a crazy first day. The sad part is, it doesn't get any better really. I cry every year when I put them on the bus and everyday I miss them sooo much!!
WOW, CRAZY day!!! I'm sure it will be awhile but at some point you will be able to look back and laugh about the adventure of Alec's first day of school.
I'm happy to hear everyone is safe and sound and all in one piece :)
Thanks for the cookie recipe, sounds yummers!!
Have a wonderful weekend
Stacey
I will be balling, too. At least I have a few more years to prepare. Hang in there. I'm sure each day gets easier.
Oh My! I am so glad Mikayla is OK. I adore the picture of Alec waving on the bus.
Oh my! What a crazy day! It gets easier. I promise. I DO still get a lump in my throat every year, though!
LOVE the last picture!!!
XO,
Stacy
Post a Comment