The following person in this conversation will remain nameless. Let's just call this person "uneducated." I was talking with Uneducated about Mikayla and her special needs, most of which have suddenly grown worse over the past two months. Uneducated proceeds to tell me that "this is what Kris and I get for adopting a kid from a third world country." At this point, I walk away from the conversation because honestly, everything in me wanted to smack the person and 1.) that is not very ladylike and 2.) that would not have been a good example.
Let me tell you something. Mikayla's special needs consume our everyday life. I do not come on this blog and complain about them. In fact, for the most part I do not even TALK about them. It's not that I have a problem talking about them because in fact, the opposite is true. I LOVE talking about it and educating people. However, most of the time I internally deal with the sadness accompanied by the lack of understanding about Mikayla's conditions and the lack of support from some (not all) of our family and friends.
Mikayla is developmentally nearly a year delayed in her cognitive and fine motor skills. She also has a significant speech delay. Her sensory issues have intensified to the point of craziness over the past two months as she still cannot communicate appropriately and does not have the proper sensory equipment in our house to help her. Each day Kris and I deal with these issues. Each day we watch her play with toys that developmentally she should have quit playing with nearly a year ago. Each day we watch as she spits up her food, chews it into a paste and pukes it out to play with it, or flat out refuses to eat anything at all. Each day we make her formula to drink because besides a SLIGHT tolerance to apple juice she cannot and will not drink anything else. Each day I have to think about what I am doing that is going to throw her into either sensory overload from too much stimulation or sensory meltdown from not getting enough. The list goes on and on and on. Do I complain? No. Do I look at my daughter and wish we wouldn't have adopted her. No. That is just absurd.
This is NOT what we "get" for adopting from Guatemala. We were fully prepared for the things that could happen when we went into this. We knew issues could arise. My gosh! They can arise with a biological child just as easily!!!
My problem? Well it's the lack of understanding from people. There are a lot of wonderful people in my life that care about my children enough to understand their exceptionalities and uniqueness and there are others that don't even try to "get it" and rather either ignore it or don't want to learn.
Please, take a moment to learn why Mikayla is the way she is. She has SENSORY INTEGRATION DYSFUNCTION. She will ALWAYS have this but with therapy it can improve. She does not act like typical children, she does not eat like typical children, she cannot handle social situations (typically) like other children, she does not talk like other children, and she does not handle typical everyday stimulation like typical children. Why? Because that is just Mikayla. Sweet Mikayla who has a disABILITY. She has the ability to do whatever she wants in life in her own unique way. She has touched the lives of many and changed them for the better. Her drive and loving personality are amazing.
But please, don't think we are bad parents if she hits you in the face because you are too close to her and upsetting her. She can't HELP it. And please, when she can't talk don't tell us that it's because she is thinking in Spanish because that has nothing to do with it. Please, when she pulls clumps of hair out of her Dora doll tell her AWESOME because at least it's not HER hair and we have finally been able to divert that behavior. And when she melts down in a group of people don't tell me that we should do this or that because it won't work....the only thing that WILL work is removing her from the situation. And lastly, when she takes the piece of food you gave her, mashes it up and spits it back at you....don't be surprised because that's what she does.
Mikayla attends Eastgate, an early intervention school certified by the NAEYC which is AMAZING. She has made progress...but she isn't your typical little girl...and likely never will be. And that's OK. We wouldn't trade her for anything in the world. We love this little food mashing, hair-pulling, social meltdowning, constantly on the move little girl with all our hearts.
Please love her too....UNconditionally.
I am now stepping down from my platform:-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


22 comments:
So sorry for who ever is BEING PLAIN MEAN....Mikayla is a DOLL like always...HUGS
I'm so sorry you had to deal with "uneducated"!! People can truly be cruel sometimes and i'm glad you're standing up for your daughter!! She's perfect in her own way no matter what others think! God NEVER makes mistakes you know!! Biological children could have a disability as well and we still love them and our heart born children are no different!! I hope uneducated gets educated!!
I am so sorry you had this encounter with "uneducated". I continue to be amazed at how rude and inconsiderate some people can be. Mikayla was meant to be with your family and you are so fortunate to have each other!!
Robyn
Isn't it amazing that God made sure that Mikayla had a family that understood her - her needs - her abilities - her uniqueness (did I spell that right??). God didn't pick Uneducated to be Mikayla's parent because he knew that Uneducated couldn't handle it.
God picked YOU - He knew that you would get her the help that she needs and love her unconditionally. I just think that is the coolest thing ever.
I know you have talked about this before - but what kind of things do you need in your house for her SID?
And I'm going to ask another question - have you tried (or is her school trying) any sign language with her? (I can't remember if you have ever talked about it) Let me know if you have any questions about that as Alex is STILL doing sign language even though he is speaking pretty well now.
Hugs to you - and sorry you have to deal with Uneducated.
Girl don't step down from your platform we all will just step up with you.
Don't you just want to slap ignorant people.
Mikayla is beautiful and I agree with Kim. God meant for you and Kris to be the parents of Mikayla. You two are wonderful parents!
I would love to have a conversation with Uneducated!
Love ya
Andrea
Sorry you're having to deal with those people!!!
Hugs...
Kerri, Medina, and Ruby
Hugs!!! Uneducated people make me want to scream! You are an amazing mom and you have a wonderful daughter. You are ALL so lucky to have each other and God planned your family perfectly! She is beautiful and you are too!
Mindy you know you ALWAYS have me to vent about "uneducated". You know I have come across him/her myself. I promise if Mikayla spits her food on me I will still LOVE her as much as I do right now...LOL...I hope you feel a little bit better by getting it all out...
I am so glad you wrote this. Caleb and Mikayla have so many of the same behaviors so I understand completely. Caleb will be 3 on sat and still we deal with these issues everyday. Some seem to get better and some seem to just get worse. God has chosen these angels for us.
Uneducated people SUCK!
Mindy,
Please know that Jen, Ana, Tony and I will always be there for your family. Things can get very stressful and it is always best to discuss your feelings with those that love and care for you. Remember, you have been through tough times before and God responded to your strength and hope by blessing you with his gifts.
When Jen and I were told for the first time at the US Embassy in Guatemala that Ana may have a heart defect, it scared us but did not sway us from our love for her as part of our family. You are much stronger than most people I have met and your heart speaks volumes. What is most important is how you love and provide for your children, not what others think you should or shouldn't have done. It is the meek, not the ignorant, that will inherit the Earth.
God bless you and your family!
'Uneducated' is probably one of the nicer things you could have said to describe this person. It's unfortunate that there are a lot of 'uneducated' people out there who always feel that they know better than everyone else and insist on sharing their wisdom.
We love you Mikayla!
hi mindy, unfortunately there will ALWAYS be "uneducated" in life. even if you're child does not had a disABILITY. :) i've come across "uneducated" about a lot lately.
but whoever it is, they don't deserve to have Mikayla in their life because she is just an ANGEL! i love everything about her, i love hearing you talk (blog) about her. she is a darling little miss! C is for cute and Mikayla is definitely that!
big hugs...
mel
I am so sorry that you experienced "uneducated". Your post was amazing and your little girl could not be in better hands. She is amazing.
Why do people have to be so closed minded about life? I am sorry you have to deal with this type of people. I pray that one day they will see the light and realize how much they have missed out on by being "uneducated". Mikayla is such a gift. God has a calling for you to educate people and you are doing a wonderful job! Thank you for being an inspiration to us and teach us about this disABILITY!
Mindy,
I read your blog consistently, but this is the first time I've commented. I'm so sorry for the ignorance you've encountered and the lack of compassion and acceptance.
What you "got" for adopting from Guatemala was a beautiful, loving, accepting family. Period.
Ansley
Mindy,
SO sorry you have to deal with ignorant and thoughtless people like "uneducated". These comments were spiteful and hurtful and certainly no friend would ever say something like that to you. It was uncalled for...PERIOD! You have to rise above people like this....and I know that you do! Lots of (((hugs))),
Rebecca and Zachary
OH I am sorry for the stupidity of some people . Mikaya is beautiful and perfect :)
Mindy,
I have followed your blog for a long time and have enjoyed sharing your journey. Mikayla is an absolute doll. There are so many ignorant people in the world that need to think before they speak. I belong to a Mom's Christian parenting group and the best thing our leader ever told us is that God knew the perfect children for your family before they were born and you and Kris are the most perfect parents for Mikalya and Alec. Always remember that.
Susan
Thank you for sharing. That gives me a lot of insight. I have enjoyed readin about your adoption process and now all the times she's been home. You're an awesome mama!
Hiya Mindy! You may not remember me from high school. I was messing around on MySpace and think I ended up on your blog from there. Anyways, I just wanted to say that you have a beautiful family! Also, I am astounded that UNEDUCATED would ever think it would be okay to say something like that! Those comments hurt, but your blog proves you're above that kind of crap. Mikayla is so lucky to have you as her mom :)
ugh. BREAK my heart. she is so much worse than eli...that when i say "i understand" i really only understand a little tiny fraction of a percent. she is absolutely hands down the most beautiful little girl i have ever seen....even when she is missing clumps of hair :) you and kris are really doing such a great job of advocating and loving her. i can not believe someone said "that's what you get." i might have wanted to punch them in the face and say, "that's what YOU get." ;) i have no doubt in my mind that God knew what He was doing when He gave us THESE children. Mikayla is nothing short of a blessing, and I am glad that you know that...and sad that some people are too blind to see that. Your family is awesome. I am so happy about "what I got" from Guatemala...and I sure hope to "get" something like that again someday. seriously....people are so lame sometimes.
brook
Hi, Mindy. I was just checking out your blog. I have been so busy with the kids I have been living through them and forgetting about the blog, but I have to comment about "Uneducated". Her disability has nothing to do with her being adopted from Guatemala. Are you FRIGGIN" KIDDING ME? I actually have a friend, Cathy, who has 2 biological boys and Aidan who is 2.5 yrs old has apraxia plus a sensory disorder. She is awesome doing the same thing you are which is early intervention. That and unconditional love for your beautiful daughter is all you can do. Plus it seems she is lucky to have Alec's stimulation as well.
Some people are so clueless.
I still hear people tell me how I was so kind to adopt Maya.
We are not trying to be kind honestly...our hearts just led us to our daughter and WE are the lucky ones!
People assume so much, Mindy.
You are awesome and your family is beautiful!!!
Jugs, Kerry
Post a Comment