Saturday, June 16, 2007

How do I say goodbye??

So the end of her first year is here...already. I am having a really hard time saying "goodbye" to babyhood today. I looked at her just a few minutes ago sleeping peacefully in her crib and she looked so big. She has grown up...and I can't stop it. And it makes me sad. Really, tomorrow will be a bittersweet day. I can't help but look back at the time I missed with her. But, we have had almost five wonderful months of "babyhood" with her, that trust me, I thank God for each and every day. I truly do. We were so blessed to bring her home that young and not a moment goes by that I don't know how LUCKY we were. But it still hurts. It does.

I can remember vividly Alec's "birthday eve" in which I felt very similiar...although there were no feelings of loss attached to it. But it was similiar and bittersweet as well. I guess there is just nothing like a baby swaddled in your arms, the way they drink their bottle and look deep into your eyes, and then sleep soundly in the comfort of your embrace. Time goes quickly...I know that all to well with Alec. And it may be because I know firsthand just HOW quickly it goes that makes me sad tonight.

This little girl, Mikayla Faith, is truly an incredible blessing from God. Everything about her and the circumstances in which we found each other are nothing short then an act of God. Truly. I was just talking to Gina tonight about how the right child is truly placed in your arms. And I believe that without a doubt. Words just can't describe the way I love my daughter. The way I love my son. The way I love my CHILDREN. With each day that goes by though, I know that they are growing up and that I need to take each day with them to heart because they will be my only children....and I don't want to miss a single minute...not one.

And then my thoughts go in a different direction...to a young woman who tonight, thousands of miles away from us, is sitting empty handed. Who no doubt is thinking of a sweet baby girl that she gave birth to...and selflessly gave to us. I cannot imagine the emotions that her birthmother must be feeling tonight, on the eve of her firstborn's birthday. I love this woman that I have never met. I love her deeply...I have a daughter because of her. God bless you....sweet Maria...my prayers are with you always.

So in other news, Joe, Gina, and Christian came over today for a cookout and as always we had a great time together. Kris and Joe went golfing again and since they left a little late...they played the last few holes in the dark. LOL. Here are come pictures from today. How cute are these children? They are adorable and we are truly some very, very lucky moms and dads!!!!!!

Her last day as a "baby" and looking as beautiful as ever!

Dad.... I think I can do it! I think I can take steps!

Awww....DaDa...I love your hugs:-)

Daddy's little girl...FOR SURE!

Yup...that's what I said..I am a DADDY'S GIRL!

Role Reversal: Joe and Mikayla and Kris and Christian

Alec....You ALWAYS make me LAUGH!

Daddy's little BOY!

Fly me HIGHER Gina!

Sooooo close to walking!

I see him walking with his mom...am I going to learn that from him too? Hmmmmm.

I'm not sure I can do this...I will just sit here and eat grass!

Yup...sitting pretty...with some grass:-)


Sorry....you are NOT getting a good picture of us. PERIOD!

8 comments:

Natalie C. said...

happy birthday mikayla!

mindy, your children are beautiful.

Bekah said...

Adorable pictures. Your post made me sad...there is nothing more precious than a baby wrapped in your arms drinking a bottle...it's really hard to let those days go. really hard. thinking of you today!

Jenny and Matt said...

Happy birthday Mikayla!!!

Joe and Gina said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MIKAYLA !!!!!!!!!!
Thank you for having us over, we had so much fun....I really do need to borrow Alec sometime, Christian thinks he is the best...You have the most beautiful children and your right we are the lucky ones.....Happy Fathers Day Kris, you are a wonderful Dad.....

JuJu - said...

Love all th pics - gorgeous kids - I can't believe that baby girl is one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JUlia:)

THE MERRILL FAMILY said...

Happy birthday Mikayla! You are a beautiful, beautiful girl.

Mindy, there is such a bitter-sweetness for us adoptive families with each milestone. I'll be praying for you and her birthmother. May you both find peace on her birthday.
~Beckie

Steve & Amy said...

Happy Birthday Mikayla! I know what you are going through. Our little girl turns one on June 25 and she came home June 14. I believe that I may have missed out of some of the "baby time" with our daughter, but I have the rest our lives to create memories together.

Our Adoption Process said...

Happy 1st Birthday, Mikayla!!!! You look sooooooooo pretty in that dress!!!!
Time is flying, dont I know it!

Hugs:)

Kerry