Monday, June 11, 2007

RE-ADOPTION IS SCHEDULED!!!!!!

Sorry I have been MIA. This weekend I came down with a UTI and it was a crappy weekend for me. When I get a UTI it is serious for me because I have what is called a "double collecting system." This means that I have four kidneys and four ureters. No, I cannot donate kidneys. I have a "double set" on each side which means that it is one organ with two kidneys...they are attached. Anyway...I was disgnosed with this condition as a baby and I have a lot of issues with kidney reflux my entire life. My kidneys are damaged from the reflux and when I get UTI's the reflux gets stronger, therefore causing more damage. Eventually I will probably have to have surgery to have the reflux fixed. My Urologist wanted to do the surgery if I got ONE more infection....I have had 4 since he told me this but I haven't let him know yet. I know, bad Mindy...but I am in no mood for another surgery. Luckily I was able to get control of it quickly and I am now on the mend.

So now that you know about all my medical stuff let me get on to the good stuff:-)

I finally sat down last night and forced myself to fill out the re-adoption paperwork. It wasn't all that bad. So today I met Kris down at Probate Court and we filed the paperwork. Her re-adoption hearing is scheduled for July 9th at 11:00 am and I am THRILLED because Steve and Brandy and the kids will be here from Cali and will be able to come.

Mikayla is near impossible to get a picture of lately. SHE IS ON THE GO. But here are a few that I was able to snap!

EDITED TO ADD:
It has become apparent to me that some people may not understand WHY we are re-adopting Mikayla so I am going to explain it as simply as I can. First of all, when you adopt from a foreign country the child comes home with their native name and YOUR last name. Therefore our sweet Mikayla Faith is really Clara Luz, her Guatemalan name, legally. Her Certificate of Citizenship along with her Social Security Card is in her Gautemalan name. In the US we have to re-adopt primarily to do a name change. Mikayla came home as a citizen since we visited her so this is the primary reason for the re-adoption. If she had NOT been a citizen then we would have to complete the re-adoption in order for her to BECOME a citizen...and I have friends that are in that process right now. However, she is a citizen, just with a different name. At the re-adoption hearing her name will officially be changed and she will be able to get a STATE OF OHIO birth certificate. Right now all we have is a Guatemalan Birth Certificate. It is necessary to have an Ohio Birth Certificate because her name is being changed, plus, if she ever needs another copy of it, she can get one. So I hope that explains why we have to do this. It has nothing to do with the fact that she is not OURS....she is....her adoption is just foriegn and in a sense this makes it domestic. It's just another step in the whole process...and actually...for us...the LAST one!!!!


What? You want a picture of me??

Well this necklace is TOO good to put down!



ON THE GOOOOOOO!

9 comments:

Joe and Gina said...

Mikayla sure looks like she is having fun crawling around....I hope I can get an appt date as quickly as you did.

Brandy's Adventure said...

Look at her go!! I am so excited about being there for the court date!!! I am THRILLED and of course we will be there!!I am just excited that I get to be there for something and of course...it's the last step!! Ha ha!! Glad to hear you are doing better. Those things aren't fun, but especially for you huh? I will keep you posted about flights. I think I won't torture myself anymore this week and stay away from the airport. Just be sure to pray for a good flight heading your way on the 28th!!!!
I am ready to meet my adorable niece!!!

Katie said...

Sorry you have been sick -- no fun :( We have the same court date for the twins next week :)

Jane said...

I am soooooo out of the loop... when I read re-adoption, I thought that you meant that you were going to adopt AGAIN! I was all ready to do a hallelujah dance for you guys and a third child. So now I will do the hallelujah dance for the four of you instead!

Princess Gabby and Prince Hunter said...

Oh girl, sometimes it seems the paperwork just keeps going huh! We just did the re-adoption and someone on the forum recommended getting a U.S. passport for when you send the COC off after the name change (just so you have proof of citizenship when the COC is gone) for a new one. So Rob and I just did the passport and then we'll do the new COC, new SSC, and yet another passport. Whew!!!! But VERY cool about the re-adoption, I wish we could have gone to court. TN just does Rec. of Foreign Birth. I'm sorry about the UTI, no fun! AND I'm totally feeling ya about them being on the move, Gabby is NEVER still anymore! Feel better soon Mindy, Mera and Gabby

Jaime said...

Hello...glad that you are feeling a little better. That is really exciting about Mikayla's re-adoption. We still haven't gotten our act together and filled out our paperwork. Someday soon I hope to get motivated and do it! :)
Mikayla looks to be having a ball crawling! Take care...

Melissa De Mers said...

Oh Mikayla! I bet you are just a cruisin' all over the place. :)

I cannot WAIT to see your bday pics, they'll be coming SOON since you'll be one soon pretty princess.

Be on the lookout for a small package from me, Tim and Haylee! We love you and enjoy watching you (and Alec!) grow up.

XOXO,
Melissa, Tim and Haylee

THE MERRILL FAMILY said...

Mindy, you have a beautiful family. I hope that you feel better soon.

Thanks for indulging my addiction.
~Beckie (a fellow GBA)

Robyn said...

Congratulations on your readoption date!! Mikayla is so beautiful!!

Robyn