Monday, May 14, 2007

Got Our Original Documents Back Today!!!

I knew they were "here" because they tried to deliver them Saturday while we were not home. So today I took in my little slip to the Post Office to get them! I was so excited. I sent in the G-884 form about 5 weeks ago. It says on the letter that they received the request on April 9th...so it only took about a month to get them back. For those of you who have NO idea what I am talking about I will explain it. When you go down to pick up your child you get this thick envelope FILLED with all kinds of information about your case. HOWEVER, it is important stuff that you are not allowed to see or open. It is sealed with official tape and if it is tampered with then you cannot proceed through Immigration at the airport when you get to the US. It is very important. So you stare at this thing and wonder what in the world is in this top secret package of paperwork. Immigration takes it from you when you get to the States and are at the airport so you never really see what is in it. You do, however, get a brief glance at it when they open it in front of you at the airport. I saw that there were pictures of Mikayla's birthmother in there and that was about all I saw. Once you get your Certificate of Citizenship in the mail you can petition Homeland Security to give you BACK those documents, which is what I did (more lovely paperwork). So today I got it back. Most of it was information that I was already aware of. All the exact dates that things happened in our case were included in the paperwork. All of them matched what our agency had told us EXCEPT when we got out of PGN. We got OUT of PGN in December...which we already pretty much knew. We got a picture of the birthmother in the packet along with a picture of Mikayla taken at birth. I LOVE that picture. It is crystal clear and I now I can finally see her "newborn features" clearly since our referral pictures were distant and a tad blurry. We also got an official and original document from the hospital she was born listing all of her birth stats, which we did not know until today, along with the time she was born and the Doctors name that delievered her. THEN...we also got another polaroid picture of the birthmother with Mikayla that was taken when the DNA was done. I already had one but now I have two! I am so happy and for those of you who have NOT done this yet...please do it. It was SO worth it!


Here are her birth stats:

Mikayla Faith

Born June 17, 2006 at 6:18 PM

Weight: 6 Pounds 8 ounces

Length: 20.5 inches

Apgars: 9, 10


She was born at Hospital Villa San Francisco, VIlla Nueva, Guatemala:-)


Hi mom...I WANT that camera!





OK...I am up on all fours...how do I crawl???


My pretty girl!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

YEAH Mikayla! Grandma is so proud of you! You are just trying so hard to get yourself up and crawl. I love you so much! I miss you!
Grandma Cheryl

Our Adoption Process said...

Email me if you have time how you petitioned that and if you think I could do that too??

Thanks!

Kerry

Bekah said...

That's awesome...I will have to do that. Thanks, I probably would have never thought to request that back!

Jane said...

the third best Mothers Day gift... your baby boy, your baby girl, and the gift of her birth information.

you have got to stop posting pictures... she is just to stinking cute!!!

Happy Tuesday to you!

Jan said...

Thanks for sharing all of this information - I will do the extra paperwork when we get home now for sure! Emilee and Mikayla were born in the same hospital!! Yet another thing we have in common! Hugs!

Kim said...

You are much better than me - I still haven't filed. (nor have I done his name change) I was just so paperwork burned out!! I need to put that on the top of my list. I really would like to know his birth information (time/weight).