Thursday, April 12, 2007

Rotavirus, Cancelled Trip, and Pictures

How do you like THAT for a title? Lovely, isn't it!? Tuesday my mom came up to Canton so that we could go to mall and pick up some stuff for the trip to Florida. Mikayla had been FINE all day. We were at the mall for about 2 hours and by the end of it she was getting fussy. I just figured she was getting sick of being in the stroller but all the sudden mom and I smelled the most AWFUL smell we have ever smelled in our entire lives. I mean that. It was THAT bad. So I took Mikayla to change her and nearly needed noseplugs it was so bad. In just the amount of time we walked from the restroom to the front doors of the mall that "smell" was evident again. I told my mom we would just change her in the back of the van. Oh gee. What an idea THAT was. This time it was everywhere and by the time I got her cleaned up she had to ride home in JUST her diaper part of the dress she was wearing. The rest was a mess. We were halfway home and Alec said, "mom...Mikayla is puking everywhere!" I could hear it so I pulled the van over and jumped in the back and sure enough.....she was losing EVERYTHING. It was all over the place. Lovely. We finally get home and get her bathed and dressed only for her to "blow out" of 4 more outfits before nightfall. At this point I was getting concerned. By yesterday morning we had gone through too many sleepers to count and every single crib sheet that I owned. I called my mom in a panic and told her she HAD to come up to watch Alec so I could get Mikayla to the ER. At this point she was NOT crying tears and was lethargic. I knew she was deydrated. I couldn't keep a thing in her. She drove up and I ran out the door calling Kris on the way to the hospital. We spent a good portion of the evening at the Pediatric ER. They hooked her up to an IV and were able to bring down her 103.5 temp. The IV thing was terrible but she HAD to have it. They took a culture at the hospital and sure enough...she has Rotavirus and still today it is NOT getting much better...although she seems more hydrated. I am exhausted. I feel like every thirty minutes or so I am changing her...ALL of her...not just the diaper if you know what I mean.

So this means we have to cancel our trip to Florida this weekend. Like an idiot we did NOT get travelers insurance so we are paying a small fortune to cancel them. Ridiculous. We are hoping to travel down there in two weeks now. Normally I wouldn't care so much but the whole point of this trip, as many of you know, was for us to see my grandma. She is NOT doing well at all. She is very, very sick and is really having a very hard time. Please pray that she keeps fighting and that she finds the inner strength to go on. She is having a surgery this evening because she has to have a new port put in because her veins are all shot. It's just bad and I am devestated over it. So please, PLEASE pray for my sweet grandma and for Mikayla. And then pray for all of us, that we do not get this terrible virus.

Now the highlight of this post is that we got our pictures today online. They don't come back for a few more days but we were able to view them today. I adore them all. I truly do. Here are some of my favorites. There are a ton of them but I am not posting them all....just the best ones. Enjoy and please remember to keep my family in your prayers.









16 comments:

Jane said...

Mindi... I am praying for you guys. Both of your children are adorable! I still say she needs to be paid for her ability to take such wonderful pictures. Most children would tear up the props, but not your little angle!
I'm also praying for your grandma and your timely arrival to Florida.

Kim said...

I love the one with the flower petals and the one with Alec giving her a kiss.

I'm so sorry she is sick. She sure has been through a lot since you guys have been home. Stay well!!

JuJu - said...

Gorgeous Pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

soo sorry your angel baby girl is sick again!!YUKKKKK!! I will be rpaying for ALL of you guys!!

Hang in there Momma:)

Julia;)

Bekah said...

Oh geez, that is horrible...the poor little thing!!! Will be praying for her as well as your Grandma and praying the rest of you will stay healthy.

Princess Gabby and Prince Hunter said...

OHHH Mindy, I FEEL your pain on the changing!!! Literally I just kept the trashbag underneath her at all times. Thought I'd tell you some tricks we used-Gabby wouldn't take the pedialite in a sippy cup or the bottle so I got a regular straw and just "straw fed" her small amounts for about thirty minutes and she loved it. Also our doc said you can mix in some pedialite in the formula. We also switched her to soy formula while she was sick and it really helped. Bless your heart, I'm so sorry you cannot go to see your Grandma and will pray for a fast recovery for sweet Mikayla. I hope she gets better very very soon! The pics are gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Hey Mindy,

I am so sorry to hear the little angel is so sick and more sorry to hear about the timing. I will pray you get to your Grandma soon!! The pics, what can I say? Beautiful. My fav is the one with Alec!

Hang in there!

Melissa De Mers said...

Mindy - "this too shall pass". God will make a way for you to see your grandma, I just know it. Keep your eyes & faith in HIM.
Love you!

Jenny and Matt said...

What a bummer! That poor girl! You guys have really been through it the past few months.... geez.
I hope she's feeling better soon, Mindy, and I'll be praying for your Grandma, too.
Hang in!

drew moser said...

Mindy--Thank you! Your comment on my blog just made me start crying...it is so amazing to be understood and to learn from other mamas who have 'gone before' me and understand all of these emotions that no one else can comprehend. I feel so blessed to have 'met' you!

How is Mikayla doing? Still praying!

Bekah said...

oops...I accidentally just posted a comment from my husband's account...that was Bekah writing the above comment. :) He hates it when I do that. :)

Our Adoption Process said...

Mindy, Bryan had that and I will never forget it. The throwing up was about 3 days, the worst smelling diarrhea ever was about 9...that is right...they almost admitted him for iv fluids b/c he would not even drink for almost a week. As my mom says, he will never remember it and I will never forget it. Here is a HUGE e-hug for you. I will watch for your posts and continue to e-hug you..

xoxo Kerry

Anonymous said...

Mindy: Rotovirus, I am so sorry. Been through it and I was ready to call in the poopy police. Just aweful, I am so sorry. I will pray for your family and grandma.
Take care Autumn

Anonymous said...

Mindy, sure hope you feel better.Sorry about your trip. Please post new pic's...wanna see those kiddo's. Alec is the BEST big brother! Love you, Aunt Zell

Shelby said...

Oh no-- I am a little late in reading this. I hope at this point (Monday) she is feeling much better and you get to catch up on the laundry....
The pictures are so cute. She has a sweet little smile.

Melissa De Mers said...

Mindy - thinking...praying...for Mikayla & your family today! Love ya!

Kevin, Isabella, Jennifer Kramer said...

At least it's over! Isabella had rotavirus and then got another form of the same thing within weeks of each other. It's awful but at least it's quick! And no one else in the family suffered from it, thank goodness.

Your family is so precious! And thanks for checking ut our blog!