Tuesday, August 28, 2007

My Mom's Surgery

Today was the day. I left the house at 10:00 am and headed to Columbus...a 2.5 hour drive from my house. Kris took the day off from work to stay home with the kids. After getting a bit lost trying to find a place to park since the parking was FULL everywhere...I made it to her pre-op room at around 12:45. I was able to see her, hug her, pray with her, spend time with her before they took her back. It was really tough. Her doctor explained the entire procedure to us (my dad, me, and my aunt) and told us they would remove the first lymph node and check it for cancer first. If it was + then they would remove all the lymph nodes. He said he would call us at this point in the surgery and let us know. We went to the waiting area and about an hour or so later the woman at the desk came and got my dad because mom's doctor was on the phone. My aunt and I just held hands and I prayed. My dad came back, sat down, and said...the lymph node was negative...the cancer hasn't spread. PRAISE THE LORD. I sighed a breath of relief that I have been waiting to exhale since I found out about the cancer. This was good news. They finished up the surgery and the doctor came and spoke with us. Basically, it was self-contained he feels. At this point, we are not sure WHAT the course of action will be, but the doctor feels really, really good about everything which makes US feel really good. She was able to come home tonight and is at home resting. She did well during the surgery and so they allowed her to go home. So thankful for that! I know so many of you are wanting to know what happened today so I knew I needed to hop on here and post. I am exhausted but I was thinking of all of you and wanted everyone to know.

Both the kids are sick....poor Kris. I came home to a clean house, floors swept, bottles washed, dishes done, and kids in bed! I wasn't sure WHAT I would find when I got home (I got home at about 8:15 tonight). So a HUGE shout out to my wonderful husband who is one heck of an amazing man! I also want to thank my Aunt Chris for flying up from Florida to be here with us today and also my best friend from high school, Amber, who lives in Columbus and came over to the hospital with her 9 week old sweet boy to sit with me and help me through. Dad...I love you...we made it. We are GOING to make it. My mom is going to be OK...she is a survivor and I love her so much it hurts....

And to God...thank you..all praise goes to You because YOU are the one in control...

Daddy did my hair today...how did he do?

I think pretty good for the first time he has ever done hair in his life! Don't you think?

YEA!!!!!!!!!! My dad is AWESOME...and he even took these pictures of me today! How lucky are me and my awesome brother...we have a super-cool dad!


20 comments:

Gail said...

Mikayla looks very happy . . . so
your mom is doing well?
Praise God!!!
Gail

Kate said...

Oh Mindy!! I have tears right now!!:) I am so happy and YES praise the Lord!! I am so so happy things went great today! I have to call my mom and tell her, she has been praying for you and your mom and was asking earlier if I had heard anything!! You sure do have a great husband!! WOW! Mikayla's hair look so cute!! Anyway I will continue to keep you in my prayers!! HUGS!

Tara said...

Oh thank you for the update on your mom. I have been thinking about her like crazy. I am so thankful for the upbeat prognosis from the doctor. Yeah for mom!!! Your heart must have been so heavy and I hope some of that weight is lifted. Remember...Keep the faith :) I think daddy did an awesome job on Mikayla's piggies! WTG dad! Stay strong and keep on fighting, girl!

Anonymous said...

I had been waiting to hear the news of your mom's surgery...and what wonderful news it is!!! I am so thrilled for all of you!!! Your mom will be in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.

Anonymous said...

Oh Mindy I'm so glad to hear that today went well.

Jenny and Matt said...

Oh Mindy., I'm so glad that today went well.

Anonymous said...

I've been praying for your Mom and thinking about her and you a lot today. I'm so glad that the surgery went well. I will continue to pray!
Lisa

Melissa De Mers said...

Praise GOD!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to hear that things went so well. That is just wonderful news. What a relief.

Bekah said...

praise God! that is awesome that everything went as well as it possibly could! so relieved for you guys!

Natalie C. said...

PRAISE GOD!!! I am so happy to hear the surgurey went well and the cancer has not spread.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update! That is wonderful that it hadn't spread to her lymph nodes! Everyone was thinking about her yesterday!

By the way, good job dad!!

Anonymous said...

Mindy, I am soooooo excited about the outcome of your moms surgery. What a blessing !!!!! I can't wait to talk with her after she is rested. I have been thanking God every minute. I know this has been rough on you and I know that God has definitely given you the strength to get to this point and will continue to do so. I'm here if you need anything !!!!!! Oh and Way to go Kris !!!! Lots of love and hugs !!!!!!!!!!! Bev

THE MERRILL FAMILY said...

Mindy, I've been thinking of you and your family. You have a wonderful support network with you to support you, and what a relief to have the surgery go so well. Also, great job Dad taking care of everything for Mom -- what a great partnership!

Monique said...

I am so happy to hear the good news about your Mom.

Jaime said...

I am so glad to hear that your mom's surgery went well...that is such good news that it stayed contained. Also, I have to give props to Kris for cleaning and straightening up the house! After a long day with sick children it is a wonder he didn't crash for the night, after the kids did!

Kim said...

That is wonderful news!! I'm so glad the day worked out the best that it possibly could. (and way to go Kris!!)

Rebecca said...

Mindy,

I am SO glad to hear that your mom's cancer hasn't spread!!! That is wonderful news! Praise God!!! I want you to know that we are thinking of you, your mom and family and will be praying for a quick recovery for her.

Hugs,
Rebecca and Zachary

Steve & Amy said...

Praise the Lord!! What wonderful news for your Mom!!! And Daddy didn't do a bad job as Mikayla's hairdresser either!! What a wonderful family you have! We will continue to keep you in our prayers!

EB said...

I am so glad that everything went ok.