Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Six Months Ago Today...

We loaded everything up and headed from the beautiful Guatemala City Marriott to La Aurora Airport. We were coming home...as a family! I will never forget the feeling as the plane took off and we began to soar high above the gorgeous landscapes of Guatemala. Then, a few hours later, we saw land out the window....AMERICAN soil. Our daughter was about to become a citizen. There was no greater feeling then landing in Houston, knowing that the very last leg of this long journey was about to start...and soon end. With only moments to spare we caught the flight to Cleveland and made a quick call to our parents telling them we were on time and that we would see them soon...they were about to meet the newest member of their family in mere hours. The excitement was uncontrollable. It was overwhelming. My heart has never beat as fast as it did when the snow covered neighborhoods of Ohio came into view outside my airplane window. Was this really happening? I had dreamed about this exact moment for months. And it was here. I quickly laid Mikayla out on the airport seats to change her diaper as the people in the front of the plane began to get off. We were in the last seats! I smoothed down here hair, damp with sweat from the nap she had just taken in Kris' arms. I stared into her eyes and thought about the people waiting inside. People that had prayed for Mikayla's arrival home since the day we received her referral. I teared up. I was crying and we were not even off the plane! The walk from the terminal to the exit was filled with so much anticipation and excitement. And then, there we were...all FOUR of us. And there they all were...our family and friends! Camera's flashed, signs waved, balloons flew, and tears of pure joy fell...from nearly everyone's eyes. It was one of the most emotional moments I have ever experienced. I am sure the people watching this all happen could even feel the love and emotions coming from all of us. It was an unforgettable moment. And that night, as Kris and I dressed her in a sleeper that has been waiting 7 months to be worn, we watched her sleep. We stood over her crib and relished in the moment that she was here, in her room, in her bed, and she was peacefully sleeping like she had been there all along.

The past six months have been filled with so much happiness and joy. We have watched our infant become a toddler. We have seen her flourish in our home and embrace us with open arms. How is that we have already been home for six wonderful months? Has it really been that long? I can't believe that it really has. I know I say it over and over but my family is my world and I love them more then life. I am so fortunate to have the blessings in my life that I do and it is on anniversary days, like today, I am reminded of what an amazing life I have been given. Thank you Lord, for blessing me with a husband who is my best friend, children that amaze me daily, and a future that is bright.


I am posting her Welcome Home Video again because some of you have only just started to follow our journey might have missed it the first time. And even if you have seen...watch it again:-) You better believe I watch it all the time!


6 comments:

Katie said...

Beautiful, Beautiful Mindy. Everything about you and your family is just beautiful !!! :)

Steve & Amy said...

OK you needed to have a kleenex warning with that one!!!! What a beautiful tribute to God's answered prayers & your little angel! Thanks for sharing it again.

Bekah said...

[tears] Your family is beautiful. Praise the Lord for choosing Mikayla to be a part of your family from the beginning of time.

Our Family of 5 said...

Congrats On 6 months! Time flies!

Monique said...

Thank you for sharing it with us. It made me tear up a few times. You are truly blessed with such a beautiful family!

Jane said...

Mindy, what a BEAUTIFUL post! Thank you for sharing and filling all of us newbies in on your beautiful blessing from God.