I want to start off by adding some information that I left out when I was posting about the TB Fiasco. First of all, I have had some people concerned about her going on the medication, which is called Isoniazid. I want to say that we have a wonderful IA doctor as well as regular doctor and those two doctors, along with the Infectious Disease doctor all consulted about the best plan of action. Mikayla was given the PPD test (TB test) on Monday. On Friday the skin test was measuring 10 mm. It was larger on Wednesday, which was in the NORMAL timeframe for a reading, at a measurement of about 13 mm. The American Association of Pediatrics reccomends that all children with a BCG shot, which Mikayla had, with a reading OVER 10 mm be put on the medication. According to them, a child with a BCG should still NOT have a reading over 10mm and Mikayla's was over that. Therefore it is likely that she WAS exposed to TB rather then getting a false positive from the BCG vaccine. If the reading was still positive, which the BCG CAN cause, but was UNDER 10mm then she would NOT have had to go on medication. I have researched this A LOT and it is a very safe medication for her to take and considering that her reading was well over the cut off I feel she needs to take it. I know this is all very confusing and I am sorry for that. I just wanted to clarify.
The following was taken from an article in Adoptive Familes Magazine.
"There is considerable misinformation among adoptive parents and medical professionals as to whether children who have received the BCG vaccine prior to arriving in the U.S. may be accurately tested for exposure to TB. According to recent studies, although a child who has received the BCG vaccine may show a reaction to the PPD test, the PPD test will result in less swelling (under 10 mm) than in a child who has been exposed to the actual disease. In this case—a child with a prior BCG vaccine and a response to PPD but swelling of less than 10 mm—the result is not considered positive for TB. However, a PPD test that causes 10 mm or more of swelling is considered an accurate indication of TB infection, whether or not the child received the BCG vaccine, and the child should have a chest x-ray and begin antibiotic treatment."
Now...on to the other stuff. Kris and I went shopping today and looked at over 35 Easter Dresses. We could not agree on a single one. I love the frilly ones which he thinks are gawdy and he loved the simple ones which I think are BORING. So home to the internet we came. First of all...I think it is FUNNY that he even CARES about her Easter dress....but he does and he was GOING to have a part in the decision. We finally settled on a Gymboree dress that we found on Ebay. I do love it. It is simpler then what I would have chosen but very beautiful and the pink bow is velvet. I even got the matching shoes. LOL. A girl has to have her shoes. So the following pictures are of THE Easter dress that we finally agreed on. Also there are a few pictures of her Indians cheerleading outfit. We are taking the kids to a game sometime soon so she HAD to have this.




2 comments:
Hope everything is better very soon...and well as Easter is coming approaching also visit my blog on Easter Greetings sometime to share some of the wonderful spirit!!!
Love the Easter Dress, and the Indians outfit.
I want to go to the shops in Lodi, lol next time we are having a grown up shopping trip.
I hope that Mikayla is feeling better
Post a Comment