Friday, March 23, 2007

What a DAY Continued!

This afternoon around noon Mikayla's doctor called me to say that he was feeling very unsettled about yesterday. He wanted me to take Mikayla up to the Infectious Disease Unit at Akron Children's to have the TB test looked at again by them. I agreed and packed up the kids, thank GOD my mom was here to help me this time, and headed to Akron. They got us right in and the Doctor there was wonderful and agreed 100% that the TB test was VERY positive and said that she needed to go on a 9 month round of medications. YUCK. I was afraid that was coming:-( They had to do bloodwork to check her liver levels and so she was pricked yet AGAIN. He feels that it was due to the shot she got in Guatemala. And I agree with that as well and she is NOT contagious at ALL. She does NOT have active TB. My Doctor then called me again tonight to check in on her and go over the results with me that Akron had given us earlier. We talked for a half hour earlier and a half hour tonight about her. I have to say I love her doctor. This is Alec's Doctor as well and we have had him since Alec was born. He is actually out-of-state on vacation, left last night with his family, and still called me and was concerned. He is wonderful and I feel blessed to have a good Doctor for her. So that is the update for today. Sorry no pictures. We are exhausted here. Mikayla is MAD MAD MAD over all that has happened this week and is very clingy to me. She is not even wanting Kris so much right now. She wants ME. She has been through a lot this week. Keep us in your prayers and I will let you all know as soon as I get some more information about the other tests that they are running (whooping cough).

6 comments:

Jenny and Matt said...

Oh Mindy! That stinks. Poor girl!

Kim said...

Poor baby girl!! What a week she (and you) have had. I'll be praying for you guys!

Melissa De Mers said...

Praying for you Mindy - poor Mikayla, poor baby.

Anonymous said...

Yikes! Did she get a shot in Guatemala for TB? Can that give a false positive? We are going to be running Mindy's tests next week, so it would be good to know upfront. I am so nervous about the blood draw after reading your post. I will bring lots of toys and maybe a lollipop or something.

Obviously Mikayla is the picture of health, but I am glad you have these cautious people making sure she gets the very best health care. It sounds like your doctor is top-of-the-line!

Susan said...

Oh Mindy what a horrible week for you and Mikayla. I hope you get good test results (11 vials of blood! Yikes) and that she is feeling better soon. The pictures are sweet.

Susan (guatemomtobe)

Rebecca said...

Mindy,

Oh honey, I'm sorry to hear about your week! I know it was difficult. I didn't realize that you and Mikayla had been through so much this week. I will be checking back every day now to see how she is doing. I will be praying for you guys. I know she will get better very soon and that terrible cough will go away. Give Mikayla hugs and kisses from Zachary and me. Love, Rebecca