Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Bloodwork....OH MY!

Oh yesterday...can we just FORGET yesterday even happened? I should have known NOT to leave the house when I looked outside and saw the pouring rain/sleet/snow/ice mix. But I wanted to get this stuff done so off we all went in the mommy-mobile for a day full of fun. NOT. We started by going to the Social Security office to get Mikayla's SS Card. The woman had NO clue what she was doing. We waited over an hour to get to the window and then the person I AM PAYING to be there doesn't know what to do. I knew more then her (thank GOD) and we got it all worked out in the end. But it was not fun to wait an hour with a teething mad child and a bored four year old. But it's done.

Then we piled back in the mommy-mobile to head to the hospital to have all of Mikayla's bloodwork done. Why didn't someone warn me that this was the most horrific thing on earth? WHY? After waiting yet ANOTHER hour for her turn...we were called. We went back and all the nurses were doting all over her....which was sweet but I just wanted to get on with it? LOL. So I take off her sweat suit coat thingy and there was one nurse to draw the blood, one nurse to hold her arm down still, and one nurse to help me hold her STRONG body. I had to sit up, hold her facing out on my lap and put her legs in between my crossed legs to pin her down. It took them a few minutes of "searching with the needle" to get her tiny vein (Kerry where were you?). Then they started drawing all ELEVEN....ELEVEN PEOPLE...vials of blood. Mikayla was screaming like I have NEVER heard her scream....crying so hard she was sweating. They got to the Ninth vile and her vein collapsed. OMG. So then we had to move to the other arm to get the other two vials. All the while Alec, God bless my sweet son, was rubbing her forehead and telling her "It's OK Princess...big brother is here and they are almost done." I seriously thought I was in a movie because this could NOT be happening...yes it was that bad. FINALLY they were done. Mikayla finally settled down and then off to the Pediatric Unit we went to have the TB test done. So picture me, carrying Mikayla, shirt off, only a onesie and pants, with huge Band-Aids on her, with one arm and the other arm carrying her carrier full of my purse, her diaper bag, a bag the lab gave me with containers for her "poop specimens...yummy!" OH...with Alec attached to me as well...holding onto my shirt so he didn't "get lost." OMG... So then we get up to the Peds Unit and they had to do the TB test. I lay Mikayla down on the bed and she saw the poor nurse bring out that needle and went into sheer hysteria again. At just the SITE of the needle. We finished that and went back to the mommy-mobile.

Then we had to go to the post office. What was I thinking? Waited in line 20 minutes there and then headed home. I had quite day. Yes I did. And like I said...I prefer to FORGET IT.

Daddy managed to make her smile later that night though and these pictures are the proof.








7 comments:

JuJu - said...

great pics!!!!!!!!!!!

Jane said...

two things...

Gotta love the month of March in Ohio.. one day is great, the next is winter!

My heart aches for you guys during the needles yesterday!

Melissa De Mers said...

Wow what a day - I was picturing the whole thing. ELEVEN viles?? Are you kidding? I remember getting five when I was pg with Haylee...but eleven? That poor little girl! Alec is such an awesome big brother. I just want to hug him!
Hopefully today's better? :)

Jenny and Matt said...

The bloodwork is THE WORST> We had to have Eliana get blood drwan 3 days after she came home and it was awful!
Same, scene: 100 people to hold her down, 20 + minutes of screaming, stuck both arms.... awful.
Sorry Mikayla

Kim said...

Yeah - blood thing with Alex too. They had a hard time hitting his vein - 3 people and 5 tries later they finally got it. Looks like she made out ok!!

Blessed Mommy said...

you poor mama!! your son is the sweetest.. i almost cried about him being such a good big brother :) what a blessed mommy you are!!

Our Adoption Process said...

Thanks for the shout out but I do not do babies for reasons I don't have to tell you after that episode! Maya needs a lead level but we will go when I only have to bring one child...Bryan is not as patient...Good boy your son is!!!

hope you recovered...

Lastnight called for a glass of wine and some chocolate for sure!

Kerry